Friday, December 30, 2011

Lemon Raspberry Breakfast Rolls - My birthday treat!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Or at least I hope you had a good one. Personally, my holidays could have gone better. My date fell sick and that kind of bummed me out. Our dinner plans fell through and I felt the blues. I started listening to the blues and usually I'm quite upbeat. What made it worse was we had planned to meet on my birthday which was a few days ago. Sigh...

But, I realized, it's my birthday. I'm not going sit around moping. I'm going to take control of my life and do something. Carpe Diem! 

So I decided to do what I do best - bake. I had this recipe that I've been meaning to do for such a long long time and today was the perfect occasion.

Lemon Raspberry rolls....

Just let those words sink in or a second. My mouth was watering the moment I feasted my eyes on those three words. A sunny dish to lighten up my day and match my sunny personality (hey it's all relative here...)

The recipe I hit upon was made by Joy - an amazing woman, and the host of this little website. I'm sure that you are familiar with it.

Her recipes have never led me astray, so I will defer you to her version of Lemon Raspberry Rolls which I followed to the letter. The only change I made was that I cut the sugar by half everywhere.

As always, the results were amazing. The recipe also is quite simple to make.

1. Make the batter and let it rise.



2. Roll it out into a large rectangle.



3. Spread the oh-so-damn-good brown butter. Bring out the inner artist in you.



4. Put the raspberry lemon filling in the middle - after you taste a few spoonfuls of the mix (sshh... just a quality control).


5. Roll it up into a log and cut it into 12 pieces - easy way to do it = cut log in half and then half into half to give quarters. Then cut each quarter into three pieces. Do this quickly because juices will start to come out quickly.

Only 8 shown here (4 in another dish) - make sure you have enough space between them, because they will puff up a bit in the oven.



6. Puff it up some more and bake it off.


7. Gorgeous puffed up rolls with a tart raspberry filling and the smell of lemons from the zest perfuming the entire apartment. The drizzle of a fresh lemon glaze only puts it over the top.


Can you see the steam in the image? They were so good looking that I started fanning myself to stop myself from swooning.



I made 12 rolls in this batch. Looking at them, I realized that I couldn't eat them all, and it is the season for giving. So I ended up going to my local Trader Joe's and I gave it to all the hard workers who were there on Christmas Eve!

Seeing the joy and happiness on their faces blew away my blues and I instantly felt a lot better.

Remember, it's the season of giving and giving joy to someone, whether it be a stranger or your loved one, will make you feel like a different person. It certainly does in my case - a better one.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
Kartik
 

No comments:

Post a Comment