Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A new KitchenAid and say Holla to the Challah bread


Hey all,
So I got back very recently from Michigan where I had the most amazing time! Visiting Mackinaw island was a lot of fun and I got to ride around the island in a horse-driven carriage.

But the best part was when I got home only to find a box outside my place.



When I opened the box, this is what I got.


A brand new KitchenAid stand mixer! Tears welled up in my eyes - it was so beautiful. Kind of like when you see a newborn. So sleek and so shiny. I spent an hour just playing around with the different attachments.

I am excited because now I can take my baking to the next level. And it begins with one of my most favorite breads.

Here's what I baked:
Challah bread


It is so delectable and amazing - a kind of bread that is mildly sweet and has a great yeast flavor from the baking. You can pull it apart, slather a little butter and it is oh-so-good.

I made it, and it's pretty easy, but keep in mind that the recipe in Smitten kitchen is for 2 LOAVES
Remember to divide everything by half if you want to make one loaf. I accidentally forgot and made 2 of them (not that I'm complaining).

You can make it with or without raisins and Smitten Kitchen does a fantastic job of explaining how to make the braid. It's all about bringing the string to the center.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. Is there a favorite tool in your kitchen that you wouldn't be willing to part with?

I'm also really excited to try new amazing recipes with my KitchenAid - stay tuned to find out.

Kartik
 

4 comments:

  1. Yummmmm! Your challah bread looks wonderful!!! I could sure go for some smothered in butter! I've never had it with raisins before but it looks great...and so does your new KitchenAid!! :)

    A kitchen tool I can't do without. Hmmmm...I love my chopper (not a "Slap Chop" but something similar). I also have a wooden tool that I've had since I was about 18 years old (I'm almost 48 now). Anyway I don't know what it's called, but it crushes nuts and other things.

    Mine is getting ready to bite the dust so my Dad made me three of them. We call them "nut busters" LOL! :)

    I'd never part with them!

    Anyway, have lots of fun with your new KitchenAid! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. I love the new kitchen-aid! I randomly found your site and I love the URL- so great!! Smitten Kitchen is so great with everything, so I know that this bread would be awesome to make.
    I like your pictures too- can't wait to try it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it! Tell your friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got to try challah during my trip to US and wow it is amazingly delish! Yours looks perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete