Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Healthy eggplant hummus, tomato, and spinach baked sandwich



So I was looking back at all of my posts and I noticed that almost 90% of my posts have been sweet desserts. Time to change that trend...


As a person who loves fitness and loves being healthy, I realized that I wasn't sending the best message - but still they were delicious. Life is meant to be in a balance - yin and yang, up and down, the sky and the earth, sweet and savory.

The other reason I started moving towards healthier baked goods is because I can make it for dinner and take the rest for lunch the next day - double duty - HELLO!

One of the easiest dishes to make, but oh-so-good, is a baked sandwich. This one had a good dollop of eggplant hummus, tomatoes, and spinach. It is very easy to assemble. Just looking at the pictures below is probably sufficient to follow.

Slice bread in half.


 Slather eggplant hummus (from TJ's) on both sides.

Top it with spinach and slices of tomato. Sprinkle some salt.

 Put the top layer of bread on and a toothpick in the middle since it's big.

Bake it off at 350 F for 20-30 minutes till crispy and golden brown.

Normally I'd cut it in half and saved a piece for the next day, but I was hungry and it was delicious. But , I didn't feel as guilty, because it's healthy. 

To being healthy!
Kartik

No comments:

Post a Comment